Thursday, January 5, 2012

Soap Challenge

This is what I'm going to try to explain in awkward words.
Yesterday, I filled up our soap dispensers with my special foaming-mixture. Basically, a long, long time ago I got tired of paying for hand soap refills.  I bought a foaming soap dispenser (one of the cheap plastic throw-away ones that you just push the top on and it squirts out foamed soap- nothing fancy) and started diluting regular hand soap to work with the dispenser.  I could have sworn I wrote up a post about this but I sure can't find it.

Anyway, as Tim says we finally ran out of soap from the last time I made my own.  So, I ran out to Walmart and bought the 64oz. Equate bottle.
I had to buy this kind because they were out of the just regular old soap.  Sigh.
Anyway, my goal is to spend just $3.88 on hand soap this year.  Yep, that's the cost of big old bottle.  It's cheaper than the Softsoap brand and bigger!

I mixed up some soap, using a lot of water to dilute it (it has to be very diluted to work in the foamer- see how ridiculous those things are? If the soap isn't watered down enough it won't go through the dispenser.)  I was able to fill up three different dispensers and the old empty 64oz. jug with barely a dent made in the new bottle!

So, I am hoping to see how long a huge bottle of soap truly lasts if you use the foaming dispensers.  I plan on keeping the foaming soap as thick as I can get it and still have it work.

Unfortunately, I don't have exact measurements on how much your soap to water ratio should be.   I'd tentatively say use 2 tablespoons of soap in the dispenser, then fill it up with warm water, leaving a little room at the top of the dispenser.  Shake it up and let it settle, then pump it a few times to get it working!

-Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment