Saturday, December 31, 2011

Cash For Gold- the sequel

Oh my gosh.

So remember here where I was debating going to the cash for gold place?  I divided out the jewelry I had and it fell out as follows:

10k
2 "pink ice" rings from childhood.  One wouldn't even fit on my pinky finger.

14k
1 rope chain
1 box chain
1 super thin "starter" chain (the kind you get when you buy a pendant)
1 lighthouse pendant
1 "pink ice" pendant

That's all I had.  It wasn't very heavy and by far the nicest piece was the rope chain and the lighthouse pendant.  I never cared for lighthouses (or yellow gold).

Anyway, I headed to this "Cash for Gold" place.  I wasn't sure what to expect- something like a pawnshop, I guess.  We pull in to a fairly nice commercial part of town, which was a load off my mind.  I didn't want to end up in the ghetto. 

I walked up and had to press a button to be buzzed in to the shop. Then, Tim & I were kept in this contained little room, while I spoke to a man through a glass window.  It was a little creepy.

I handed over my two small baggies of gold and stood waiting. That's really all I could do.  One of the owners went over each piece, evaluating the gold markings and then dumped it on a scale.  I have to admit I winced a bit to see it being so flippantly handled, but then again I've been neglecting it- some of it for 20 years or so.

He got the numbers from the scale (which I couldn't see) and did a calculation on his calculator, then weighed out the 10k pair of rings.

Grand total offered to me?  $372. 

I had to work to keep my jaw from hitting the floor. I honestly don't believe that much was spent on the jewelry in the first place. Seriously.

So, I took the money and ran lol!  They cut me a check right then.

We are trying to locate the original engagement ring which I mentioned in the earlier post.  I will happily take that back.  This place also purchases coins and other items- I seriously may have to do a housecleaning!

I'm glad I finally decided to take the gold.  I feel a little guilty, but I'll forget about it soon enough.

-Kristen

2 comments:

  1. Wow that's great! I'm glad you were able to get such a good price for your jewelry. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Now I've got to do it. I bet I've got at least that much if not more.

    ReplyDelete