Thursday, December 8, 2011

Rain of Death

It's been a very rainy few days. I am not a fan of driving in the rain because it seems like people lose any sense they have- driving too fast, driving entirely too slowly on highways- not to mention the flooding roads and hydroplaning dangers.

The most dangerous part yesterday came during a period where I wasn't driving... and it wasn't raining.

I have to bring home mail from work to put in our mailbox because my job is terrified that someone is going to steal their mail.  No joke.  This is not important mail.  I promise.

Anyway, I was headed to the mailbox and as I stepped off our driveway to the area in front of the box, my right foot slid in the mud and pea gravel that someone decided was sufficient to put around a mailbox. I turned that ankle and then lurched forward trying to keep my balance.  It didn't work.

I slammed hard on to the road, my purse, lunchbox, part of the mail and my coat all landing in the mud.  Joy. I skinned up a hand and lost part of a toenail (yes.. it is December and I am still wearing flip flops.  Don't judge me.)

I managed to gather up my items. From there it was a painstakingly slow lurch to the door, where I had to get Tim to let me in.  From there, it was time to access the damage.

I'm not going to say I'm clumsy, but let's just say that I have skinned up my knees more than my fair share.  That's perhaps why I knew instantly my leg was bleeding.

Boy was I right.

Knees are so attractive, even when they aren't covered in blood.
Yup, joy joy, I really tore that sucker up.  Thankfully I was wearing a new pair of jeans.  They spared me most of the trouble.

Slightly cleaned up, slightly less red, still very swollen.  My kneecap is still popping in and out.


So there you have it.  What a joy.  Just when I was getting over the plague Tim shared with me, I turn an ankle and murder a knee.   River can't figure out why I don't want to play and why she can't cuddle right now.

Oh well, the good news is Tim took care of the animals for me yesterday so I didn't have to hop around and try to do it.

-Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment