Thursday, January 9, 2014

Back in the Saddle-

It's a New Year and I'm back in the saddle again.  What saddle, you ask? The saving money saddle.

Ok, so this blog post is born from procrastinating on doing my Menu Planning- I can be honest and say that.

So, the biggest way I am planning on saving money this year is to drastically reduce how much money we spend on eating out.  This is a common theme in the blog, but I tend to get lazy and if *I* don't plan meals, they don't get planned.

Tonight we had a delicious Bear Creek Soup- Potato (Spoiler alert, the regular potato is the ONLY good soup I have found.  My mother-in-law concurs).  The cost was $3.33 (without tax) for the soup.  I couponed a free ham steak, which I chopped up and added to the soup, and approximately half a bag of shredded cheddar cheese between Tim & myself. I paid around $1.00 for the cheese, again, thanks to couponing. So for under $4.50, we had a delicious, filling meal, with leftovers for lunch tomorrow.   Much better and healthier than that $10 pizza we were seriously considering going to pick up.   We were able to eat the soup because I happen to keep a few bags of it on hand, for "emergency" (Oh-crap-I-didn't-plan) meals.

So- my goal today is to plan out this next week's meals and get my grocery list created.

I am hoping that saving on eating out will help us grow our savings account.  We would dearly love to take an amazing vacation in 2016 for our 10th wedding anniversary and I would rather count pennies now, to do exactly what I'd like to then!

-Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment