Sunday, November 6, 2011

Coupon Guilt

I spent today clipping coupons and mapping out scenarios at Rite Aid and CVS- and making up a grocery list for Walmart.   Since we spent a week in Indianapolis, we were literally out of everything perishable (we avoided grocery shopping leading up to the trip so nothing went to waste). 

We stopped first at CVS and unfortunately some of the prices at my store were higher than I had anticipated, turning a moneymaker into a very good deal, but not really worth it to me based on what I have in my stockpile at home.  I did pick up 2 Softsoap hand soaps ($2/2 coupon in the 10/30 paper and they are on sale for 99 cents each).  I also got some nail clippers for 19 cents after the CVS coupon that printed out for me at the magic kiosk, plus the manufacturer's coupon I stacked with it.  Since I'm a member of the "Beauty Club" at CVS as well, my purchase goes towards that $50 needed to print out a $5 ECB.  It takes me quite a while to build up to this since I coupon so aggressively, but every little bit helps!

We headed to Rite Aid next.  I had some complicated scenarios worked out, but in the end I decided to stick to just the basics.  I bought 4 Colgate toothpastes ($3.50 each, but I had $2.00 in coupons) for a little less than $13.00.  Then I used the four $3.50 UP+ rewards to purchase two Secret Clinical Deodorants at $7.99 each.  We spent $3.00 or so out of pocket and got $4 back in UP+ rewards that I will roll forward at a later date. So basically, I got 4 free toothpastes and two deodorants for what one deodorant would normally cost me after I use up all of my UP+ rewards.  Not bad!

Then we headed to Walmart and therein lies the problem.  Up to this point, we had done very well!  However, we needed a new bath mat.  I opted to get a better one than the el cheapos, so it ended up costing us around $16.  Then I let Tim buy a Halloween decoration at $4 and we bought River two Halloween toys which ran us $1.50.  That's over $20 on junk already (though the puppy is going through toys like crazy and we did need the bath mat).

We started hitting the grocery section and unfortunately we needed everything! Chicken, beef, hot dogs, cheese, bread, milk- all of it! I did use $6 in coupons, but most of what we purchased just didn't have coupons available.  It's so hard to save on meat and produce with our limited stores.  Long story a little shorter, we spent $93 at Walmart! OUCH!

We haven't spent that much in forever and no matter the other deals we got today, I feel guilty that I wasn't able to do better!   Nevermind that we hadn't shopped in nearly three weeks and nevermind that Tim sprung a few last minute requests (like cereal) on me, it sucks to know I couldn't do better!

Siiigh.  I guess I should be happy I get what I can get for free/cheap and just realize that every trip out isn't going to be a home-run, especially when it comes to groceries.

Oh well, I'm going to go have a pity party.  At least now that we've been to Walmart, I can serve snacks!

-Kristen

3 comments:

  1. You should feel guilty for shopping at CVS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahahaha, I would shop Walgreens but they are a bunch of slack-jaw mouth-breathers that need written instructions to scratch their butts around here >.<

    ReplyDelete
  3. I gave up on coupons for a while. My printer broke, no where doubles coupons in my area, and none let you combine coupons so it's basically still more expensive then the store brand. Occassionally I find good deals and every quarter foodmaxx sends out coupons for "free such and such with $10 purchase" or "19 cent hotdogs, limit 2" and I do buy those. I get a lot of meat that says "sell by today" for nothing (when I say meat I mean chicken and turkey products - we only eat beef twice a month at home and when we have a good coupon and don't eat pork, although Jason gets bacon when we go out). I spend $300 a month on groceries (food, toiletries, all paper products, baggies, etc) for the 3 of us so I still manage to do pretty good I think. We do have an orange, lemon, and kumquat tree and my tomatoes turned out good this year so I am trying other stuff in the garden but I still plan on the $300 a month. My husband gives me crap because I spend more a month on the pets then I do the 3 of us - lol. The reward program that is helping us right now is Sears/Kmart. I do like those $10 gift cards, which I have 3 of right now =)

    ReplyDelete