Thursday, November 17, 2011

Using it all- Apples!


I'm a baking fiend lately. Mainly because my boss gave me yet another bag of apples and I don't want them to go bad. Above is pictured an apple pie I made- it cost very little to make, even though I splurged and purchased a crust instead of doing a homemade one this time. Making your own apple pie is SO MUCH CHEAPER than buying one- I promise I don't have $8-$10 worth of ingredients in this!



I'm also making some apple butter. This can be refrigerated for up to 6 weeks, then frozen for longer storage. It can also be canned. This makes a fantastic gift and I'll be sharing the recipe soon- it's super easy to make and tastes great!


Uh oh- I still have apples left! Did you know apples can be frozen? So don't worry if you buy a bag and know you won't make enough recipes to use the bag! Freezing apples now is a great way to take advantage of their current low low prices!

Look for the apple butter and apple pie recipes soon.

I keep the peels to the apples in the freezer and I bring them out as treats for the rabbits, a few pieces at a time. They really appreciate the little something special.  Even our dogs will eat small pieces of apple.

-Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment