Thursday, September 27, 2012

Homegrown Chicken

So, we have officially butchered all the meaties (and one unfortunate Australorp that was bigger than the others, which led to a case of mistaken identity...)

Anyway, they are all gone.  While the yield was pathetic because of the blatant lies in the description from Ideal Poultry, we put it all in freezer bags and went on with our lives.

This week, I tossed one of the "midget chickens" in to the crockpot, preparing to make chicken pie.  Then we got texts from Chickfila for a free meal.  We went out.   I tossed the cooked chicken in to a container in the fridge, fully aware that it was probably going to be tough when I used it (after all, it has been before when I've had to put off a meal for a day).  Two days later, we bring out the chicken and realize there isn't enough meat for chicken pie- it will have to be chicken 'n dumplins.  Whatever.

I have to tell you- the meat is so freaking tender.  Yes, I crockpotted it, but remember, it's been sitting in the fridge for two days!  I warmed up leftovers for lunch today and it is still really freaking tender.

I am officially in love with homegrown chicken.  The flavor and texture is incredible!  Now I just need to figure out a way that I can grow some actual fast growing chickens next year so we can get more.  Yum yum!

-Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment