Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Apple Chips

I was given a bag of red delicious apples yesterday- yum yum.  Red delicious are most definitely my favorite and these are crisp and sweet.  However, there are definitely more than I can eat, so I decided to give dehydrating them a shot.

I only made two trays (two apples) because I didn't want to mess them up and waste the entire bag.  I sliced the apples around 1/8th of an inch thick and left the skin on.   One tray was plain, one tray had cinnamon sprinkled on it's apples.   I started the dehydrator at 6:00pm last night and then checked the apples when I got out of the shower this morning, around 8:15.

Perfection!  The apple chips are crisp, but not burnt.  There is a very slight discoloration from being exposed to the air, but it's not bad at all. 

I packed the flavored and unflavored chips in to separate mason jars and sealed them.  I'll let them sit for a few days (shaking the jar occasionally) so that any moisture helps redistribute, then they will go in to food-saver bags.  I'm confident in my ability to make delicious apple chips now- hooray!  Now I just need to find that recipe for dehydrated apple pie... what a time saver it would be later on!

-Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment