Sunday, June 24, 2012

A Homesteading Update

I've been out of town since Wednesday- now that I've returned home, so many things seem to have changed!

The garden has gone absolutely feral.  The cantaloupe vine has expanded to the edge of the garden, then hooked a left and started climbing the peas trellis.  The cucumber has taken the opportunity to expand and began crawling on top of the cantaloupe vine and the pea trellis.  Also, we have teeny peas now.

We learned that planting onions under black plastic works fabulously to keep down weeds.  It also keeps the soil too damp and causes your big, beautiful onions to rot.  RIP onions.  We did manage to salvage a few, they are out drying as we speak.

The chickens are doing wonderfully, we had four eggs when I returned!  I'll be boiling those up and feeding them back to the chickens since they laid in the nestbox for a while in the heat.

I'm trying to sell the last rooster.  He is loud and obnoxious- fingers crossed someone wants him! I have him paired with the hen of the same color, so hopefully they go as a nice set.

I have some exciting things in the works as I work on building up a mini-working farm in a housing develop on parsonage land!

-Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment