Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Make your own...shampoo?

Now I will admit upfront- I've never tried this.  I have taken advantage of so many sales on shampoo and conditioners that I have a ton of the stuff, but I'm keeping this in mind when (if?) I ever run out.

To make your own shampoo, you will need:
1 tbsp. baking soda
1 cup of water

Mix the baking soda into the water until it is dissolved.  Pour on your hair until it is wet and work through with your fingers.  Rinse.

Yeah, that's it.

To make your own conditioner, you will need:
2 tbsp of Apple Cider Vinegar
1 cup of water.

Again, mix it up, pour it on your hair and work through with your fingers.  I've been told the odor of the vinegar (which is very diluted) dissipates as your hair dries, so no worry about odd smells.

So there you have it.  Very cheap, no harsh chemicals and great results (so I have been told). 

You can mix up several days worth at a time in various bottles you can save or purchase (condiment bottles for BBQs, etc).

I decided to give the baking soda a try because I haven't been happy with my hair recently.  Pantene has always been my go-to shampoo, but recently my hair has looked greasy, even if it isn't ( I wash it daily).

After washing one day with the baking soda and using my regular conditioner, I've noticed my hair feels lighter.  The curls are slightly less defined (I often end up with  tight corkscrew curls)- which isn't a bad thing necessarily.   The important part is my hair feels better.  I may go back to my regular shampoo and see if an occasional baking soda cleansing takes care of the issue with the shampoo, but I definitely say give it a try!

-Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment