Thursday, August 15, 2013

Htipiti Recipe

I've really been enjoying cooking lately- it's amazing what you enjoy doing when you are home all day!  However, I do feel like my life revolves around loading and unloading the dishwasher.  Sigh

So, on to Htipiti!  It's a Greek Dip that I first tasted in a little hippie grocery store- I fell in love with it, but did not want to spend $6.00 for the tiny little container, so I decided to give it a shot myself.


 You will need:
1 12oz Jar of Roasted Red Peppers (or equivalent of peppers you have roasted yourself!)
4 oz (1/2 cup) of Feta Cheese
1 tbsp. of Olive Oil
Red Pepper Flakes to taste
Minced Garlic to taste

The great thing about this recipe is it is highly customizable.  You can try it by also adding a teaspoon of lemon juice, more garlic, less garlic, no garlic but a scallion- don't be afraid to play.


 Drain your peppers (I also rinse them off in cold water), then lightly squeeze them in a paper towel.  You want to remove as much liquid as possible.  Also, remove any skin you see on the peppers.

Add your peppers, feta cheese (I used  1/2 heaping cup of crumbles, if you use regular, drain off the liquid and then cut it in to chunks), garlic, pepper flakes and olive oil to your food processor.  I use around 4 shakes of the pepper flakes and 3 spoonfuls of garlic- I really like garlic.)


Pulse in the food processor! You want it to not be a smooth paste- unless you do want a smooth paste.  Really- whatever you prefer, though typically this is a thicker, chunkier dip- not a smooth one.  Taste it and decide if you want to play with the flavor a little more or let it go as is! 

I put some minced garlic in, then added a little "juice" from the garlic jar, which made the dip a little runnier than I was expecting- but it still tastes good!

I think this would make a fantastic alternative to tomato sauce on pizza as well- my mouth is watering just thinking about it!    I eat it with Pita Chips! Yum yum.

Refrigerate after it's made and enjoy!

-Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment