Sunday, July 14, 2013

Jalapeno Happiness

We went to visit with some folks from our church today.  It wasn't the best day for it, since Tim and I are both exhausted from a long night at a rabbit show.  We didn't get home until the wee hours of this morning.  While I got more sleep than he did, I still feel ready to drop.

Regardless, we went to eat lunch with the couple and the lady, Diane, offered Tim a big, beautiful bowl of Jalapenos to take home with him.

It seems that while she loves to grow them, she doesn't care for the spicy jalapenos.  Of course, her plants are fruiting like crazy, while ours have only a single, pitiful jalapeno on them.   At least the one I thought was dead is finally beginning to bloom!  The rain we have had lately has everyone worried about small harvests.

I'm trying to decide what exactly we will do with all these jalapenos.  Tim isn't a big fan of pickled jalapenos, but I may try a jar again anyway.    I know he'll eat some fresh or in various dishes.

I definitely think I am going to try making a small batch of  "Cowboy Candy"- aka Candied Jalapenos.  I figure if they don't turn out well, at least we didn't spend a lot of money or use our entire crop of jalapenos on them.  I also want to include a jar or two in some Christmas gifts!

-Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment