I came home from work today to find a beautiful day waiting for me. I had been trying to decide what my project was going to be today- whether it was going to be cleaning the garage, decluttering the house, etc.
What ultimately won out was the reorganization of the chicken coop.
Tim and I took down the walls to the coop and moved them about a foot to the right, which repositioned their little house (which is too heavy to move hehe). The coop was originally cobbled together from two different sizes of fencing, with a sloping roof. We took apart the smaller walls and put them to the side, then removed all the chicken wire from the inside of the larger fencing.
While the walls weren't connected, we took the opportunity to scrape out floor and change the shavings on the floor. Then we put the walls back up and spent ten minutes trying to wrangle the girls back in to their new home.
It took us around an hour to get everything torn apart, cleaned and put back together, but it looks so great! The hens are all traumatized, but once they get over the shock of things being- *gasp* different, I think they will be happy. They currently have a few small patches of grass growing in the coop from where we shifted it, but I won't hold my breath that it will last past today.
The smaller walls of the coop are currently residing in our garage.
It is very satisfying to see the new area, cleaned up and looking nice. It's immensely satisfying to work with your hands and get things done.