Monday, March 11, 2013

To Garden or not to Garden-

I'm having a major dilemma on whether to garden or not this year.

Part of the problem is I hate to weed- hate it.  Our lawn care guy (church provided, sigh) mows so that the lawn clippings fly into the garden, making the problem worse.

Last year we put down black plastic, which killed the onions.  We lost two tomato plants to an ant invasion.  The tomatoes were very small on the plants that did survive.

We don't own a tiller.  We have to either rent one, or depend on the kindness of others to get our garden place tilled.

However- I love making fresh salsa, and having hot banana peppers for summer sandwiches!  I love feeding the excess produce to the chickens and giving it away to friends. I love the satisfaction of growing something myself!

So what to do, what to do.  I need to make a decision quickly, it's warming up here in North Carolina!

-Kristen

3 comments:

  1. If nothing else, a small container garden would be nice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kristen! I followed your link from your update on C2D's Grow Your Fund Challenge today.

    I *TOTALLY* think you should garden this year. Last year, everything that COULD go wrong in my (small, container) garden DID. My cherry tomatoes had blight. My strawberries had slugs that later destroyed my zucchini plant that was already suffering from blossom end rot. Heck, just last week I killed a hyacinth I got from the local home & garden show :(

    But I'm still trying again this year! (In fact, that's the focus of our family's blog at the moment -- followed in a couple years by our goals to build an Earth house!)

    Nothing beats fresh food. Whether it's the nutritional-value being at its peak, the carbon-emissions & materials saved from not having the items flown in from all corners of the globe, or just the self satisfaction that YOU did it. YOU grew something & get to enjoy the fruits of your labor (with luck hopefully well into the winter).

    Best of luck & happy growing! :]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the encouragement! I do love growing the garden, but last year definitely had me down- you're right though, stuff happens, I've gotta just pull myself up by my bootstraps and try again!

    ReplyDelete